Wednesday, September 07, 2011

La-De-Da, Foggy Day

Does anyone else remember the terrific children's CD "In Harmony"?  If you have a child in your life, you've got to look it up. There's a great song about a sailor and a mermaid, singing "la de da, foggy day, ship ahoy, and by the way..."
    This morning I was late for work as always and my charming little bubba insisted on using an umbrella in the drizzle. The last thing that would occur to me would be to pull out the camera in the fog and rain but this umbrella obsession just screams to be documented, and why let perfect get in the way of good when you also have a "weird light" assignment to fulfill!?

I absolutely loved the misty, faded look that the 8am light filtered through the fog lent to these photographs.  Obviously we didn't have much time for composition or anything like that, especially as it's impossible to photograph a kid-on-wheels safely, when standing that close to the street.  However, if I could wrap the camera in a baggie and do some planning with vintage-inspired palettes, I'd love to do a rainy/foggy photoshoot.  Don't you think this soft look has potential? 


7 comments:

leanne can blog said...

Gorgeous! The light looks good and so clever to take advantage of a photographic moment.
I really like how you've framed the 2nd shot.

Kat Sloma said...

Yes! That soft light has so much potential. Get her with that umbrella away from the street and snap away! I'm glad you tried this as something new. Check out my past Exploring with a Camera posts on both Fog and Rain - I love both! It takes a little motivation to get out in them, but the results can be amazing... So glad to have you sharing! Thanks!

Cathy H. said...

Oh!! These turned our precious! Isn't it wonderful when you have an assignment in your head and then you find the perfect setting to take the photos!! Love this foggy light!

seabluelee said...

These are just delightful. The soft focus of the fog is gorgeous. I especially like the second one.

JJINJERSEY said...

Thanks all! Next time we're not running to work I definitely plan to try this again. Kat, I'm running over to your blog now - there were DEFINITELY some logistics to this, like the condensation in the lens!

Brenda said...

Beautiful soft light! You took great advantage when weird light presented itself to you.

Wanda said...

Great job of using the light you had on hand to do your assignment. The photos are so CUTE too...I especially like that the umbrella is as big as she is! Precious!

Some Terrific Ways to Spend Time on the Internet

Creative Spiritual Women Badge