Wednesday, August 03, 2011

intimacy with a birdhouse

     I feel like I had sex with this birdhouse.  I now know it from every single angle and I'll never look at it the same way again.  Today I decided to have a "familiar subject" redo with a something that doesn't move, and I've been courting this little birdhouse from afar for a couple weeks, since I started the Kat Eye course. Here was my funny little romp in the yard.

Well, that's a scene that turns out to be more complicated through the lens than it was from the window.  Phone wire, too many objects on the bench.  From what I'm learning, I took out some clutter to simplify.
 But it still wasn't enough.  
Now the cheese stands alone.  Rule of thirds alone couldn't help me, though.

Tried a different angle... hmm.  Meh.

Getting more intimate... now we're getting somewhere.



Even closer.... Took about 100 of these.  

Let's look at it from a different angle - I usually get "stuck" or caught up in one angle, like with the little rocking chair.  It took this assignment to remind me to stand up or lie down or SOMETHING.

Which of course drew me into the bench...


Which to me turned out to be as interesting as the birdhouse.  There's that wood/texture thing cropping up again.



And while I was over there, surprise! Look at that cute miniature log pile and those nice bench lines.






Let's try a totally different angle.. now I'm lying down in the dirt and another surprise through the lens- a lovely late afternoon light through the trees, that really evokes the feeling of this little corner of the world.

































































After all of that, in the end it wasn't the bench, the house on the bench, the whole scene, or any other elements that really evoke the feeling I felt when I looked out the window at the little house. It was this tiny detail that I fell in love with, and when I look at it, I feel serene and drawn to go outside and sit on the bench:






There were so many surprises on this multi-angle journey... One new angle leading to a new detail which led to another and another... I loved it!

11 comments:

leanne can blog said...

These are great, i loved following you on that journey, some nice surprises there too. I love your final shots too.

JJINJERSEY said...

Hi Leanne, Thank you! An epic journey around a little birdhouse, lol!

seabluelee said...

I laughed my way through your photo shoot and comments, then for some reason the last two photos brought tears to my eyes. I think I'd like to sit in that rocker and just be there for a while.

JJINJERSEY said...

Thanks for going on the journey with me seabluelee. I felt the same way about that little chair, I don't know why. Maybe because it set off a whole "ah ha" about photography for me.

Kat Sloma said...

So fantastic! It sometimes takes a whole lot of pictures to break free of our obvious angles at first. I'm so glad you shared this photoshoot and how you moved through it to your favorite photos. Wonderful, wonderful story and images.

JJINJERSEY said...

Thanks Kat! It was my first really powerful experience in photography and it really moved me. I've been inspired and enjoyed photo shoots but I started to "get" it and produce images I love.

Cedar said...

So glad you had your moment! This assignment wasn't it for me, but it was only a few months ago. That moment from loving photography to being in love with it. Now I just love taking pictures of anything to experiment and explore and find those gems I wouldn't find if I just took the traditional make sure the whole scene is in the shot shot.

JJINJERSEY said...

Cedar, thank goodness it's not film photography, right? We'd be going broke - I'm afraid I caught the bug too!

Brenda said...

I really enjoyed following you on your multi-angle birdhouse journey - I felt like I was right there with you as you explored and experimented.

JJINJERSEY said...

Thanks Brenda! glad you enjoyed the "ride"!

Laura said...

Great job with trying loads of different angles. Some of the favorites I saw were also the ones that captured the details of the house - including the log pile with the bench lines. Great eye!

Some Terrific Ways to Spend Time on the Internet

Creative Spiritual Women Badge