Sunday, July 31, 2011

Familiar Subject

This exercise was to pick your favorite subject and take 50 photos.  Unfortunately, my subject moves around a lot and I experienced a ton of technical difficulties, rendering a lot of what would be my favorite shots very blurry or unusable.  This is my ongoing problem - the will is strong, the mind is weak, lol.
Here are a few gems; I think I am going to do a take 2 though.








17 comments:

Deborah Tisch said...

I love your images of your favorite subject! My favorite is the last one of those cute little feet. In spite of whatever technical difficulties you had, you still got some great photos here.

JJINJERSEY said...

Thanks, Deborah! I do love those little feets - been kissing them for almost 2 years now. Thank you for your kind words - I was discouraged today!

seabluelee said...

I agree - and the last one is my favorite, too! I'll be looking forward to more in "Take 2"! ~Lee

Becs said...

I love these, what a cutie! I love the last one too, but also the one where she is lying with her back to the camera, the light and shadow patterns are lovely. I thinks toddlers can be really tricky to photograph but you've done a great job. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Becsx

JJINJERSEY said...

Thank you all for coming by to visit - I love visitors!! I also loved the one where she is lying with her back to the camera (while mom is having a heart attack about deer ticks)... even though it is fuzzy, which I also like - it has a nostalgic feel to me.

Kat Sloma said...

I'm glad you got out there and tried this. Photographing a toddler has to be one of the hardest subjects ever. You just have to go with it! I think you did a great job, and it sounds like you learned a lot working through your technical difficulties. If out of 50 shots you got 1 you really love or learned something, then it was a successful shoot. That last one of her feet has a creative angle and great light. I bet you wouldn't have captured that with photo 1 of the shoot!

Unknown said...

There are some really beautiful shots of your little girl, I like it that they are not posed. I sympathize with you on some of the technical issues, if you think a child is fast try a running dog, it can be so frustrating..

smiles, Sharon said...

What a beautiful subject, your daughter! How fun and Fancy-Nancy...would make adorable sketches.
Thanks for posting.

leanne can blog said...

These are really nice shots of your little one. I love the light in these pictures too.

JJINJERSEY said...

Kat, you're exactly right about that - the piggies shot would have never happened without this exercise.
lquemon - I don't even think I would dare brave a dog in motion!!
FromSharon - What a beautiful, romantic notion - thanks you! Now I need to find a sketch artist!
Leanne - The light frustrates me - we are surrounded by trees so I can rarely capture light in the yard. The shade is great too but sometimes I'd like some illumination to keep pics from being so flat. Thank you for your compliment!

Kim said...

I love capturing more true moments with my kids, like that last one of her feet in the air. I understand how hard it is to photograph little ones. I would like to tell you they slow down and make it easier, but my oldest just turned 5 and it hasn't happened yet. ;)

Florence said...

you may have experienced difficulties but it looks to me that your shoot was very successful, the pictures are gorgeous and i just adore the last one, there's something about it. awesome! :-)

JJINJERSEY said...

Kim - thanks for the heads up! They move FASTER?!
Florence - thanks for your kind words! I do love the nostalgic feel, technical difficulties and all!

Ashley Sisk said...

These are really sweet - I'm loving your 3rd and 4th shot...sometimes with kids you just have to roll with it and have fun...they rarely behave appropriately for a photo shoot. :)

JJINJERSEY said...

Ashley, those are my favorites too. I can't seem to keep up with adjusting the settings to accommodate her movement, but maybe someday I'll get quick. I also think I need a non-zoom lens so it's one less thing to think about.

Cedar said...

Lots of sweet shots! I love the one with her walking away dragging the blanky. Something about how she is lifting her foot; so cute! Toddlers are hard, but I guess that might be why I took 500 pictures. Learning to embrace frustration and overshoot has gotten me some of my favorite photos.

Susan said...

What a fun shoot. I especially like the one where she’s standing in the shadow of a tree, with the dappled sunlight behind her.

Some Terrific Ways to Spend Time on the Internet

Creative Spiritual Women Badge