Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Shooting Style

   My shooting style? Quick and dirty.  Brings to mind the Leonard Cohen lyrics, "The only thing I learned from love was how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya".

    My equipment is: a Nikon3000 DSLR which is pretty satisfactory - now that I know more, I can see some limitations, but one thing I do love is the intuitive feature-finders, and how it fits in my hand.  It's my buddy.  Even if I upgrade someday, I think this will still be my everyday buddy.  I have a 18-55 zoom lens and another zoom lens to 200.  (I SUSPECT there is a 50mm 1.8 portrait lens sitting in a box for my upcoming birthday...)  I carry this backpack thing that I hate.  I prefer to just have the camera crossbody until I see something.  The zoom lenses are handy for that - i can typically get away with just bringing one of them. I'd love suggestions for something different though.
     I prefer natural light, period.  If I never had to edit a photo, think about flash, or learn more about lighting, I'd be happy.
     Time of day - I don't have the luxury of thinking much about this. I shoot when I squeeze a moment. I do trend toward that awful middle of the day though! I love bright light.
     At home - prefer not, although there is a time of day that is stunning in my house.  Prefer to shoot when out and about, when the mood strikes, and definitely when traveling, at an event, or doing something I'd like to remember. I don't shoot when I'd rather be in the moment.  I don't shoot when I know the conditions are just going to frustrate me.
     I like everyday life and special events, as long as no one is expecting results!
     I'm pretty stuck on aperture priority mode.
     I like photography excursions, but that's because it seems to be the only time I can spend real time with the camera.  As per Twyla Tharp's book on creativity, I do try to keep my "pencil" on me at all times, just in case, which has led to some great photo shoots.  I will go with my husband and daughter sometimes, they're good company and keep me moving so I don't always get lost in the minutia.  I do also love to be alone and spend an hour photographing a birdhouse, lol.

     The camera equipment is a combo of suggestions from photographers I love, a quick decision in someone's trunk, and my own research.  The camera was supposed to be a D40, which I'm feeling I should have stuck with, as mine performs poorly at high ISOs.   This is only 400ISO - seems awfully messy to me.


Lack of faith in my camera does limit me from attempting some lighting situations.   My love of natural light is probably adapted from my favorite child photographers - I love portraits outdoors, in natural settings.  Use of aperture mode is just my lack of skill - I've got to find more moving targets to play with so I can rev up that part of my photography.  I am feeling really good about my use of Ap. mode though, so I guess spending the last 6 months in that mode wasn't all bad!  I'd like to focus on shutter priority and eventually be able to use manual mode effectively - but to be honest, I can't figure out how to use it, literally.  I can set the aperture but not the shutter.

    I am starting to envision a little bit how I'd like a photo to look, now that I'm understanding the camera's eye is different from mine.  I'm learning how to capture the essence of what I'm looking at.

    In other news, a friend of mine may be setting me up with a photographer friend of hers to follow around a couple of Saturdays - in return, he photographs many children w/ autism and has a hard time engaging them - DING!  That's where I come in!  I'll keep you posted... and in other news, the mom from the post below let me know today that her whole family is just dying to know... who took those pictures?  HEE HEE!

11 comments:

Brenda said...

JJ,
My camera is also permanently stuck in aperture priority mode - I don't take photos of things that move, so no need for shutter priority. Although, like you, I am thinking that I need to test myself and try to bring some motion or (gasp!) people into my photography. But that scares the crap out of me. I look forward to seeing your work with moving targets - maybe it will help give me the courage to try it myself.

Cathy H. said...

I'm still stuggling with my vision of the photo and what the camera sees!! I guess this just comes with practice. Enjoyed reading your post! I may try the aperture mode for a while and see what happens.

JJINJERSEY said...

Brenda - we can hold hands. Worst thing is we delete them and don't tell anyone about our blurry messes!
Cathy - I think I'll struggle with that forever - it seems to be taking a lot of failed results to figure things out, e.g. high contrast scenarios - the camera simply can't expose for both! Took me a while to catch on!

Kat Sloma said...

JJ, I like that you shoot in a way that works for you. When you have the time, in the mode that works to get you the images you love. How exciting on the possibility of a new lens!! That will expand and change your style even further. I'm glad you posted your style for us to learn more about you!

JJINJERSEY said...

Hi Kat,
I am psyched for the new lens!!! I think my post on this boiled down to "no shooting style" but thinking about it will definitely help me overcome those moments of "Why am I not out shooting right now?"

Anonymous said...

JJ, I enjoyed reading your post. My experience has been learning exposure: aperture, shutter speed, and ISO and my photography has grown from that foundation. Sounds like you've got the lenses covered. How exciting to be getting a new one. I too use aperture priority all the time and for years have wanted to do motion shots. Natural light is great. When you're shooting in bright light you can use a reflector to bounce some light onto your subject or use the flash as fill. With practice, you'll eventually know how you want a pic to look and you'll be able to do it.
I look forward to watching you grow in your photography. And have fun with shutter priority-go out and play!

Unknown said...

Love your "quick and dirty" style comment! I hope it works to follow around that photographer...sounds like a great fit. How cool that your pic of your student is still bring such joy to his mother and others!

Simon said...

I love how you describe your style. I too love to walk with camera cross-body. I think I want a backpack-ish bag, but I bet it would interfere with this camera at the ready style we like.
I do hope you get that 50mm. I often shoot with just that. Clearer images, and you have to work a little harder as you are your own zoom. I think it helps.
Me thinks if you can master AP mode you're just a step away from manual.
Thanks for dropping Twyla Tharp's book in there. I must read that.
Loved your image too.

A Box of Chocolates said...

i like your shot so that is the thing hey someone else likes what we don't. I carry my camera in my hand no fancy bags, though I do have a camera bag for travel. Great to get to follow the photographer you'll learn heaps.

Juli said...

Love your quick and dirty comment. Wonderful! And, I love that sometimes you choose NOT to photograph so that you can stay in the moment. That's what I call amazing shooting style!

JJINJERSEY said...

Where has my head been that I've missed all the visitors! Sorry folks! Well, my head has been wrapped around a little somebody during our valuable time together lately... quite literally. We woke up from our nap on Sunday with her snuggled up... around my head. ?!!?

Some Terrific Ways to Spend Time on the Internet

Creative Spiritual Women Badge